Whiplash is a neck injury caused by sudden movement of head. It is commonly happened during car driving because of rear-end car accidents. But whiplash can also result from sports accidents, physical abuse and other types of traumas such as a fall.
Whiplash injury happens due to forceful, rapid back-and-forth movement of the neck, like the cracking of a whip.
These are the most common symptoms of whiplash:
- Neck pain
- Neck stiffness
- Shoulder pain
- Pain on arm or hand
- Numbness in fingers
- Ringing in ears
- Blurred vision
- Concentration problems or memory problems
- X-ray: X-ray shows the images of internal tissues, bones and organs onto film.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI): MRI shows detailed images of organs and soft tissue structures in body.
- Computed tomography (CT) scan. X-rays and computer technology make horizontal or axial images of body. A CT scan shows detailed images of any part of body including bones, muscles, fat, and organs. CT scans are more detailed than general X-rays.
Acute phase: In an acute condition patient needs to take rest and icing the area 10-15 minutes for two times a daily. Patient can also use cervical (neck) collar to give neck muscle rest or time for healing process.
Chronic phase: In most cases it will take 14 days to 1 month to heal but if the case is in chronic condition than it can take up to six months to heal.
In chronic condition patient must concern with a physiotherapist for better solution. A physiotherapist will apply two types of treatments. They are:
- Activity modification: A physiotherapist will find out the improper techniques for which he/she suffers with the condition. Also the physiotherapist will correct his/her functional techniques.
- Range of motion improving exercises: After checking ROM of the affected region physiotherapist will improve the condition of restricted motion. In this stage physiotherapist can apply some stretching exercises.
- Strengthening exercises: To improve muscle endurance and capacity patient have to continue strengthening exercises.
1: UST- It is a sound wave which passes through in deep tissues and also makes a resonance that increase blood circulation and release pain.
2: TENS- Electromagnetic wave that helps to reduce pain.
3: HIL- Helps in deep penetration and reduce pain.
4: ESWT- In case of chronic condition ESWT helps to create micro trauma and also helps in automatic healing.